50 Reasons Why My Child Won’t Go To Sleep Tonight

One of the most amusing and amazing things about watching my four-year-old daughter grow is witnessing her become better and better at making excuses. And when it comes to making excuses, bedtime is her specialty. If tonight is like most other nights in my mom-life, bedtime will be a struggle. Here’s 50 reasons why my child won’t go to sleep tonight:


1. It’s too hot.
2. It’s too cold.
3. She needs water.
4. She needs more water.
5. It’s too dark in her room.
6. The nightlight is too bright.
7. The door is closed too much.
8. The tv is too loud because I opened the door a little more.
9. She doesn’t have enough blankets.
10. She has too many blankets.
11. Her blanket is facing the wrong way and she can’t see Rainbow Dash.
12. She wants to read another book.
13. She needs a snack.
14. She thinks she forgot to eat her vitamin.
15. Her tummy hurts.
16. Her foot hurts.
17. Her ear hurts.
18. She needs to tell me something.
19. She needs me.
20. She doesn’t have anyone to sleep in her bed with her.
21. She doesn’t have her stuffed animal friend in her bed.
22. She doesn’t have the right stuffed animal friend in her bed.
23. She has too many stuffed animal friends in her bed.
24. She wants to watch the iPad.
25. She wants to watch my phone.
26. She wants to sing “Let it Go” with me.
27. She wants to play “10 in the Bed.”
28. She needs to go potty.
29. False alarm that time, but this time it’s for real.
30. She wants to take off her pajamas.
31. She’s too cold now, and wants to put them back on.
32. She wants to know if she has school tomorrow.
33. She wants to know if tomorrow is sharing day at school.
34. She wants to know what I’m going to give her for lunch.
35. She wants to ask me if I’ll please include a pudding.
36. She wants to talk about when she was a baby.
37. She wants me to remind her when her birthday is.
38. She wants to know if next year she’ll be five. And after that, six?
39. She wants to know “what number I am.”
40. She wants to know if I’ll lay down with her.
41. She wants to know if I’ll lay down with her some more.
42. She wants me to tickle her back.
43. She thinks she sees a spider.
44. Never mind, it’s an ant.
45. On second thought, there’s no bug, but is that a monster in the corner?!
46. There’s no monster, but she’s upset now, and wants me to “hold her like a baby.”
47. She wants to know why grown-ups get to go to sleep late.
48. She wants me to know that it’s NOT FAIR.
49. She wants me to know that I’m a mean mama.
50. She’s NOT TIRED!

Comments

  1. Haha this is totally my 4 year old too!! She comes up with every excuse possible at bedtime to avoid going to sleep! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You know, people talk about the terrible twos, but the fours are like the twos, only they can speak fluently now, and they know their parents' weak spots!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Working Mom’s Struggle: Five Tips for Establishing Better Work-Life Balance

Three Types of Parents to Avoid at the Park

The Great Mug Fiasco: Or, Why I'm Never Attending a Craft Fair Again